Healthy Summer Grilling
Barbecuing is one of the best parts of summer. There’s nothing better than the smell of smoky barbecue running through the humid mid-summer air while the kids run through the sprinkler and you are enjoying an ice-cold beer with bae. But what about all of the unhealthy aspects of barbecuing like carcinogens?… Eeek! Those don’t sound good! Carcinogen can cause cancer in living tissue. Way to put a bummer on grilling. We have a few tips to help you avoid those nasty little suckers so that you can continue enjoying your ice-cold beer while you watch the kids wipeout on the wet grass. #parentproblems
- Marinade your meats.
- Clean your grill well.
- Cook in tinfoil.
- Decrease cooking time and temperature.
- Grill that veg!
- Marinade your meats.Whether you like liquid marinade or dry rubs with pepper or rosemary in them, they all protect the meat from developing as many carcinogens on the surface of the meat.
- Cleaning your grill well. Left over burnt bits from last night’s dinner can turn into big time carcinogens when heated on high heat and scorched to a crisp. These leftovers, if not removed make their way on to your perfectly cooked food. Don’t fall victim to those overly charred, nasty bits; be pro-active and scrap that baby clean.
- Cook in tinfoil.When possible, place your food in tinfoil on the grill. This will prevent fat from dripping down into the flames, which is one of the main ways carcinogens are formed.
- Decrease cooking time and temperature.When meats are cooked at extremely high temperature or for prolonged periods of time without protection (ie. tinfoil), they can be prone to carcinogens. So let’s protect them! Cook foods only at the heat that they need to be cooked at. Don’t over do it. You’re cells will thank you.
- Grill that veg!Vegetables have a different protein profile from meats, therefore they don’t scorch on the flames the same way. There are actually less carcinogens created during the cooking process of vegetables so grill up those veggies! Ps. Fruits do the same so grill up some peaches for dessert.