Time: 15 minutes inactive, 15 minutes active
1 cup heavy cream (33%)
2 cups whole milk
1 tsp TasteTro Holiday Spice blend
4 egg yolks
¼ cup maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
3 oz. spiced rum/ bourbon (optional)
1. Place the cream, milk and spices into a pot on medium-high heat. Bring to a hard simmer, but not boiling.
2. Meanwhile, place yolks, maple syrup and vanilla into a medium sized bowl. Whisk until combined (3o seconds).
3. Temper the eggs with the hot milk by adding 1/3 of the hot liquid while simultaneously vigorously whisking. Once incorporated, add the remainder of the hot liquid.
4. Pour the egg and milk mixture back into the pot and cook on medium heat. You must constantly move the mixture in a figure 8 design with a spatula.
5. Cook for a few minutes or until it has thickened up. Don’t allow it to get too hot as the eggs may curdle. Transfer the mixture out of a pot into a bowl to cool the mixture. Strain the mixture if they are lumps. Once cool, add rum/bourbon.