Secrets to Amazing BBQ Food
Barbecue season is upon us, so why not make the most of it and do it right? We’ve come up with five important steps to consider when looking to perfect your barbecuing game.
- Build Flavor.
- Temper Your Ingredients.
- Know Your Cooking Temperatures.
- Perfect Pairings.
- Finishing Touches.
- Build flavor. This is where your TasteTro takes centre stage. Load up on your favorite spice and herb blends. Add them to a wet marinade or use them as a dry rub. If you have time, it is always great to season your food in advance, particularly meats. When given some time to marinade, flavors are able to penetrate to the deeper layers on the food adding that punch of vivid flavor.
- Temper your ingredients. What do we mean by that? Pull food you will be cooking out of the fridge up to 2 hours prior to cooking. This is especially important when it comes to animal proteins. Why do this? When you throw meat on the grill cold the proteins seize up and the meat becomes tough. Also, if you like your steak rare, the outside will be warm but the inside will be ice cold. Never a good mouth feel.
- Know your cooking temperatures. Not all ingredients that go on the barbecue require hot, hot heat. Some cook better at medium to low temperatures. For example, we recommend cooking your ribs on medium-low for an hour or two in tinfoil on your barbecue to get them nice and tender. Then, take them out of the tinfoil, turn up the heat to medium-high and sear the ribs to get some caramelization on the outside.
- Perfect pairings. Understanding what goes with what will make a huge difference in the flavor and eye appeal of your meal. Having grilled pesto chicken with a Tuscan style salad and roasted herbed potatoes sounds so much more appealing than just thinking of the pesto chicken and forgetting about the rest. Then being forced into grabbing that coleslaw salad and French fries from the fridge and freezer never are as appetizing.
- Finishing touches. This step is going the extra mile. Want to wow your guests? This will be the game changer. The addition of the perfectly paired sauce or condiment will make the difference. As well, the addition of a garnish, even something simple such as chopped chives creates a pleasing visual experience. All of the senses are enticed. Not only does the mouth begin to salivate in pleasure, but the eyes want to feast. A culinary experience is created.
Kansas BBQ Pork Ribs
1 large rack of baby back pork ribs
1 tbsp avocado oil
2 tbsp liquid honey
1 tbsp Kansas Spice Rub
- Season ribs by combining the rub, oil and honey together and slathering all over the ribs. Allow to marinade overnight if possible. Pull ribs out 2 hours prior to cooking, if time.
- Preheat your BBQ a medium-low temperature.
- Place ribs in tinfoil and wrap tightly. Cook on BBQ for 1- 2 hours or until tender and almost falling off the bone.
- Remove ribs from the foil. Turn up the BBQ to medium-high. Sear the ribs on the meaty side to crisp up the outside.
- Serve with grilled corn on the cob and coleslaw and kale salad.