Peppercorns are dried berries from the piper nigrum flowering vine. There is a large variety of different types of peppercorns and their subtypes. Here are a few important ones to know.
- Black peppercorns are the most popular type of peppercorn we see on the market. Different varieties to check out include Tellicherry& Malabar.
- White peppercorns are a pungent, spicy and fruity dried berry that comes from the same plant as black pepper, but the outer shell is removed. Different varieties to check out include Muntok& Sarawak.
- Pink peppercorns should not to be confused with the rare red peppercorn as they are very different. Pink peppercorns are subtler in spiciness in comparison to their counterparts. They are also technically not a peppercorn but rather a berry.
- Green peppercorns are unripe black peppercorns that tend to be preserved in a brine and used in sauces. The whole peppercorn can be eaten when cooked or preserved as they are soft and mild in flavour.
- Long peppercorns are exactly what they say they are. They are long, dried peppercorns that are beautifully aromatic, floral and fragrant with minimal kick.
- Szechuan peppercorns are not peppercorns but berries that are related to the citrus family. They are not spicy but rather have a nice, unique lemony tang.
Some of the TasteTro blends that include black peppercorn are our Zesty Italian blend, Calgary Steak Spice blend and our Big Tasty Burger blend.